Blog of Elder JT Lamoreaux

Monday, October 26, 2015

The Process called Repentance

Dear Everyone,

This week, we had Zone Conference in Fukuchiyama! Let me tell you about it!

I realized that I have been to every single Fukuchiyama zone conference for the past year. We have Zone Conference once every 2 transfers and I have been in is zone for 7 of my 9 transfers. The really interesting part is, when I was in Kobe zone, the zone conference was combined with the Fukuchiyama zone. So, when I realized that, I told Sister Welch and then she told President Welch who then told me, "really? Well, you better get your suitcases ready" and then walked away! It was pretty funny, but we'll see what happens next week when the transfer announcements come.

Fukuchiyama Zone Conference! We are a small zone, but I love us.
Anyway, with zone conference, we talked a lot about the Doctrine of Christ, which is a focus in our mission right now. It's amazing to me how the Doctrine of Christ is found everywhere. Absolutely anything can be tied to the Doctrine of Christ. Truly, as we see the world through the lens of the Doctrine, we can live happier lives, we can be better people, and we can be more prepared to face challenges and hardships in life. We talked a bit about this and I learned and relearned a lot. But, the coolest thing that we talked about was repentance. Repentance is not a list of steps that we can check off and say that we repented. Repentance is a process that takes a lot of time. Through repentance, we can be changed into a new person. President Welch told us about when President Russell M. Nelson was training mission presidents. President Nelson studied the Greek word for repentance and it literally meant "Changing your air". Repentance can  change the way you act, the way you speak, even the air you breath. Through the process of repentance, you are changed into the being that you are destined to become. That doesn't mean that it will be easy. Change is hard, but with help from Jesus Christ and the enabling power of the Atonement, we can do it. President Welch also shared a story of when President Spencer W. Kimball said that he needed to repent. If the prophet of the Lord still says he needs to repent every day, how much more need have we to repent everyday? Another example of that is Nephi in 
2 Nephi 4 where he laments about all of the sins that he has. Thinking of those examples, I have wondered, "these are prophets! What sins could they have committed?" But now, I realize that repentance isn't something where if you do something bad, you repent and the bad goes away. It's not like that at all. We all struggle with different problems. Why? Because we are in a fallen state. We all struggle with "overcoming the natural man." Because we are fallen, we need constant repentance in order for us to change from this fallen state, into a worthy, celestial being. Therefore, repentance is much more than saying sorry or confessing your sins. It is much more than a check list of repentance steps. It is our constant process of changing and overcoming the natural man. Because we are mortal, even our prophets have a need to repent.

I went on a little rant about that, but I hope you understand at least a little bit of what I'm trying to come across. So, zone conference was great and it helped me get a nice perspective on Repentance and the Doctrine of Christ. Throughout my mission, I have learned more and more about repentance and the power that can come through the atonement of Christ. I am so grateful for my Savior who makes it possible for us to repent and change. No matter what you have done in the past, Heavenly Father loves you and wants to help you, if you but come into him. I am still in the process of repenting myself, and I am grateful for this mission and helping me to realize it.

So, in closing, I will share that scripture in Mosiah which I referenced in the above paragraph. Mosiah 3:19 (come on Scripture Mastery masters!) "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

This church is true! I know that without a doubt! I know that through the Doctrine of Jesus Christ, we can be changed, we can overcome the natural man, and we will receive all that Heavenly Father has. Have a great week everyone!

Love,
Elder Lamoreaux ラムロー長老
Japan Kobe Mission 日本神戸伝道部


This is a family from Nishiwaki that came to visit Maizuru Branch!

No comments:

Post a Comment