Blog of Elder JT Lamoreaux

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving in Japan

I bought one of those Japanese head bands.
Dear Everyone,

This was a crazy week, really busy, which is good. So Himeji was so beautiful! I will send pictures. We went to the Himeji castle, which is an ancient Japanese palace where kings and emperors (spelling?) lived in the 1600's and earlier even. Such an amazing building, but we couldn't go inside the main building because they are doing renovations to it. that was a bummer, but it was still a cool experience. Many pictures will come too, so you don't have to take my word for it.











So Tuesday was District Leader Conference in Kobe, so my companion and the district leader in the other district went to Kobe, while me and Elder Wakaumi stayed in Nishiwaki for the day. That was going to be tough for me because 1) I needed to lead in the area for the first time, and 2) Elder WAkaumi is a Japanese elder with very little English knowledge. But, everything turned out pretty well, with the help of Heavenly Father through much prayer on my part. I learned how much Japanese I actually know, which is not a lot, but enough that I gained a little more confidence in myself. Then on Thursday, my companion and I went to Kobe for the Trainer Trainee Training. (try saying that 10 times fast). So when we went there, we were able to see all of my MTC district members and other MTC friends. It was so cool to see all of them again. I miss them but they are all doing well. That took the whole day. Then on Friday, we had district meeting and then a Kokan (companion exchange) with the other elders in our district. So it was another day where I had to lead in the area. Again, I was nervous for that day, but it turned out to be a very good day. We taught a couple lessons and also ran into people speaking Japanese Sign Language. That was really cool to see. We gave them a book of Mormon so maybe they can read it. Sunday, we had Branch conference, so President Welch came to our church. It's always great to see him and to hear him speak. After that we had a lunch with the whole branch. They go all out with the food. They had enough for everyone. they had Spaghetti and curry and sandwiches and other Japanese desserts. It was really yummy.

The food after the Branch Conference!

Some of the cute kids in my branch.


I hope all of your Thanksgivings were fun! I wish I could've been with my family and friends, but Its something we have to sacrifice for just 2 years. Anyway, on Wednesday, we got a call from Brother Whipple inviting us over to their house to eat their leftover Turkey and potatoes from their Thanksgiving dinner. It was awesome, and at the TTT in Kobe, the mission home fed us all Turkey and Potatoes and other Thanksgiving food. So I was still able to have some of the Thanksgiving celebrations which I was so thankful for.

This was our first Thanksgiving dinner at the Whipple's house.


Our Thanksgiving dinner at the Mission Hom

Remember the English speaking person that stopped us in the middle of the street? He just had another baby this past week. He is doing well. We taught him a couple more lessons, but he seems to be so engaged on the Bible that he has trouble accepting the Book of Mormon. He also has doubts regarding some of our teachings. He has so many great opinions about spiritual things. He kind of takes his views from many of the teachings of Christianity which is really good. We are trying to relate everything he says to the Book of Mormon, because everything hinges on the knowledge of the truth of the book. If he can accept the Book of Mormon, I think everything will fall into place. He prays and reads the bible everyday, he just needs to take the next step. I pray everyday that he will receive an answer for himself.
Also, remember the Filipina person we ran into last week? This week we were housing and we ran into one of her Filipino friends. She isn't a member, but her Aunt is and she is interested in God and Jesus Christ. She also said that she has another Filipino friend that lives close to her as well. Hopefully, we can get them all to church eventually and hopefully my Tagalog can improve as well as my Japanese. I have confidence in them that they can be investigators and can eventually be baptized.
This was the last week of the transfer. Time flies... we got the news for this tranfer, and I am not transfering and neither is my companion. I am so grateful for that. I love the area that I am in and I don't want to leave yet haha.
Anyway, it was a good week and I am looking forward to another good one. The work is hard, but I feel great. I am stepping out of my comfort zone all the time, but the Lord is on my side every step of the way. I love the people here. I love teaching lessons because I love spreading the message of the gospel to people who don't know. Japanese is still super difficult for me, but I am improving. The Lord truly does work miracles if we have faith that they will happen.
Have an amazing week everyone! I am so grateful for all of you and I pray that you are all getting closer to your Heavenly Father. Love you all!
Love,
Elder Lamoreaux



When we went to Kyoto a few weeks ago, apparently we got into the Kyoto newspaper! So this is a picture of a picture of the newspaper. That person with his back turned with the red bag; yup that's me. At this point, we were talking with some Gaijin (foreigners) who are from Utah and are LDS. Small world haha, but we are famous, in Kyoto at least :)


Me and my Nutella. Japan can't stop me from getting Nutella :)




We found an outdoor shower....




















Before and after the buffet that we went to on Friday night. It wasnt a good buffet, but it was food nonetheless.


Game Night on Saturday. I'm getting good at ping pong. Bring it on Brandon!

Gomez Shimai's last Sunday before she leaves for Hawaii. and a creeping Elder Harris.

Show this to the primary! (made by the 4th ward primary)   The tree went up last night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment